Quick cooking recipe to install PHP oci8 on Linux Mint 17 / 18.
- Download the Instant Client from the Oracle Website and follow the instructions at the bottom of the download page.
- Download the Instant Client SDK from the same location, unpack it and move the SDK folder to the same folder where the Instant client is installed. On Linux Mint this would be “/opt/oracle/instantclient_xy”
- “sudo pecl install oci8” and give path to your instant client when asked
- Add “extension=oci8.so” to your php.ini located at “/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini”
- restart apache “sudo apache2 -k restart”
Note: You can use phpinfo() to locate the used php.ini